It’s not your usual commercial development: A self-storage facility combined with a co-workspace. But that is what Kelowna, B.C., is getting at the corner of Ellis Street and Bay Avenue.
Parent company Ulmus Development claims EcoLock Kelowna will be the first fully off-the-grid, “green” commercial development of its kind in North America.
The five-floor and 112,000-square foot facility will self-generate 105 per cent of its electricity through the use of on-site solar panels. It will collect, filter and reuse rainwater within a 62,000-litre tank, located under the building, for all planting irrigation.
The internal building walls will sequester carbon, using construction blocks made in Canada from waste hemp stock.
“Buildings are the No. 1 producer of greenhouse gasses in North America, and this project is raising the bar for sustainable development,” said Don Redden, CEO of Ulmus Development.
“With 2.5 billion square feet of self-storage facilities in North America, many of the facilities are low-density, unproductive spaces that don’t contribute to the fabric of a neighborhood.”
The architect and project designer is Jason McLennan, founder of McLennan Design. The international design firm says on its website that people are living in much smaller spaces than the traditional suburban homes in which they grew up, so they are shedding their unnecessary belongings.
“However, without a basement in every home, city dwellers are quickly running into temporary storage needs,” it says.
BUSINESS ACQUISITION & COMMERCIAL LOANS | CONSTRUCTION & LAND ACQUISITION, INFRASTRUCTURE & INDUSTRIAL LOANS | RESIDENTIAL MORTGAGES
Contact “Shahin Golestani”
CONSTRUCTION, DEVELOPMENT & LAND LOANS
- Medium or Large Construction, Development & Land Loans
- Condominium Construction Loans for low, mid and high-rise
- Single Family and Townhome Projects Loans
- Construction of Single or Multi-Tenant, Commercial Buildings such as Retail, Industrial, Office, Storage, Hotel,Multi Unit Residential
- Commercial Mortgages on Investment Properties
- Subdivision Servicing
- Condominium Conversion Projects
- Condominium Construction Builder Inventory loans
- Development Lands
- New Purchase, Merger & Acquisition | Refinancing & New Financing | Equipment Leasing & Finance |
- Commercial Buildings | Hotels and Motels | Offices and Medical Buildings
- Plazas and Shopping Centers | Multi-Family Residential | Subdivision Servicing
- Industrial Buildings | Condominium Conversion Projects | New Residential
- Condominium Construction Builder Inventory loans |Seniors Housing | Long Term Care Facilities | Development Lands | Apartment Buildings
RESIDENTIAL MORTGAGES & REFINANCE
- Self Employed Solutions
- Second Mortgage | Home Equity Line of Credit
- Mortgage for New Canadian Immigrants (Newcomers) or Non-Residents
- Debt Consolidation